Monday, August 2, 2010

Broken Hearts - There is no App for that

My husband and I are cat lovers. We absolutely adore kitties and have a soft spot for them. All animals, really. You know that question about giving food to a homeless dog before a homeless person? Yeah, that's me.

This past week there was a little kitty roaming our neighbourhood going from porch to porch. In the downpours it was too horrible to let her stay out. We set up a tent and some water and food, which she gobbled up in no time. She had been out for a while. I prayed for some kind of guidance as to what to with her.

Honestly, one of the kindest kitties I've ever met. She gave kisses, rubbed up against us and purred so happily. She must have belonged to someone, but why was she out for days? She had a lump on her back that was quite hard. Did someone give up on her?

After a couple of days, we were worried that something bad would happen and we brought her to the emergency vet to make sure she had the okay to come into our home and live with our cats. The vet said she was okay, with the exception of having been attacked by something and had an infected wound :( The lump was a cyst which was simply filled with fluids.

But we got the meds and happily brought her home. She made herself at home, much to the chagrin of our three cats.





We checked the newspaper for any lost kitty notices. I continued to pray for a sign, but there was nothing and I took that for the a-okay that we had a new kitty. People loved her, she loved them. She even won over the father in law who is not a warm cuddly person at all.

While sitting here this evening, something urged me to check out Kijiji's lost and found. Lo and behold, there it was at the top of the page:

lost my calico cat about 1 week ago. She is petite, has a little lump on her back between her shoulder blades and is not declawed. She is very friendly, if you have found her or have seen her please call
My 2 young children really want her back home as do my husband, myself and her 2 brother cats!!!!

I admit....I hadn't said anything to the husband yet. I thought about closing the window and not looking back. But I couldn't do that. After a few lots of tears, I picked up the phone and called. Sure enough, the family had been leaving on vacation and she ran out just as they were leaving. Someone had been looking for her in their absence.

They came, in a happy mini van, to collect the kitty named Maddie. The wife, who is a vet tech, was so happy to find her cat. We explained the vet and the pills needed to be taken. She offered to pay back the money we spent, but we couldn't take it. It was about making sure she was fine. And imagine if we hadn't brought her, that sore could have gotten worse :(

It was hard to see her go, and my heart truly is broken, but the reunion in the car with the husband was just as sweet. She is going back to a very loving home where her brother kitties have been walking around the house crying for her.
So the husband and I are trying to console eachother over the loss of our new family member. I can only now pray for the strength to accept what is.

No comments:

Post a Comment